500g strawberries, hulled and halved
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
- Mix the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar in a little jug.
- Put the prepared strawberries in a bowl.
- Pour over the maple/balsamic mix, use a wooden spoon to gently stir the strawberries until they are coated.
- Lined baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the strawberries flat side down, leaving a little space between each.
- Pop into the oven for approx 40 minutes. The strawberries should be dehydrated and the syrup thick and sticky but not burnt (allow a longer bake time for those that are placed on lower shelves in the oven).
- Serve warm or allow to cool and transfer to the refrigerator.
PERFECT PAIRED WITH THIS TART...
500g mascarpone cheese
2 large eggs
2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
- Line a 24 cm pie dish with pastry and blind bake until the base is firm.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Take mascarpone and eggs from the fridge and allow to reach room temperature.
- Place the mascarpone in a large bowl.
- Separate the two eggs.
- Add the yolks to a separate bowl, add sugar and hand whisk for around 10 minutes.
- Add the whites to a separate bowl and whisk until soft peaks have formed and you can turn the dish upside without the meringue style mixture falling out (I use an electric whisk for this).
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the mascarpone cheese.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the above mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pastry case and refrigerate for a minimum of six hours.
- If you have some mixture left, pour into egg cups for mini desserts.