500g diced steak
2 potatoes, cut into small pieces
1 onion, finely diced
1 tsp rosemary
500g shortcrust pastry
splash of milk
- Brown steak in a frying pan or skillet.
- Add steak, potatoes, onion, rosemary and peppercorns to a slow cooker.
- Cover with a little water - just enough so the pot doesn't boil dry.
- Set on high and cook for around 2 hours until the beef is tender and potatoes are softened.
- Drain off the liquid and leave pasty mix to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 6.
- Flour your work surface and roll out your pastry, cut into desired number of pieces.
- Add filling, wet the edges with water, fold, trim and pinch the edges.
- Make air holes in the top of the pasty with the point of a sharp knife.
- Put a splash of milk into a cup and brush over the pasty.
- Bake for around 35 minutes.
I used a ready made dough and I made the filling the day before. If you have leftover filling and dough you can make mini pies using a cupcake tin.
- Give the filling a quick whizz in a blender, to break down the meat and potatoes. Don't over blend as you don't want a purée.
- Grease the moulds.
- Roll out your leftover pastry pieces, cut out into circles.
- Line moulds with a piece of pastry, add filling, top and seal with a second piece of pastry.
- Brush with milk.
- Bake for around 30 minutes.