Whenever I serve this up I always get asked for the recipe. I think the inclusion of pork mince is what elevates it. I serve it with either tagliatelle or pennoni rigati, never spaghetti.
large knob of butter
splash of olive oil
onion, finely chopped
1-2 carrots, finely chopped
1-2 celery sticks, finely chopped
500g minced beef
500g minced pork
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes or fresh a bunch of fresh, chopped
1 litre beef stock*
2 sprigs of oregano
pinch of nutmeg, allspice or mace
crushed or ground peppercorns
- Heat the butter in a large pot.
- Add the olive oil.
- Fry onion, carrot and celery until softened.
- Add the pancetta, fry until crisp.
- Add the beef, fry until brown.
- Add the pork, fry until brown.
- Add the tomatoes, beef stock, oregano, pepper and spice of choice.
- Give it a good stir.
- Leave to simmer on the lowest heat setting on your stove for around 3 hours - stir occasionally.*
- Add cooked pasta to the bolognese sauce.
Serve with lashings of cheese! (perciono is a staple here). An absolutely delicious dish and tastes even better the following day.
*reduce beef stock to 500ml and at this stage pop into a slow cooker for 3 hours on the high setting if you prefer.