chicken and spicy bean stew
roast chicken carcass
couple of bay leaves
4 tbsp garam masala
2 tsp baharat
1 tsp harissa
1 x 400g tin mixed beans
1 x 400g tin chick peas
- Pop the chicken, onion, carrots, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and spices in a pot.
- Cover with water, bring to the boil, cover with lid then simmer for two hours.
- Drain the liquid off then pop onto the stove at a simmer.
- Pick the meat off the carcass and add it back into the liquid.
- Discard remains of the chicken and vegetables.
- Drain and rinse the beans and chick peas, add to the liquid to warm through.
- Add the spinach, stir until wilted.
If you omit the spices this is a basic stock that can be used to make a variety of soups and stews (chicken noodle soup is my favourite), simply play about with combinations.