400g fine rolled oats
75g soft brown sugar
300g unsalted butter
100g golden syrup
50g maple syrup
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5.
- Line a brownie tin with baking paper.
- Mix the oats with sugar.
- Melt the butter and syrups over a low heat.
- Stir in oats and sugar mix.
- Press the mixture firmly into the tin.
- Bake for around 25 minutes - until golden.
- Leave the flapjack in the tin, cut it into sixteen squares.
- Leave in the tin until completely cooled.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 3.
- Line a baking tray and place on each flapjack bottom side up.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Twice baked, these flapjacks are crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle.
n.b. Don't use jumbo oats as they are too big to mesh together and you'll end up with granola...just as I did with my first attempt.