kolrabi and bortolli bean gratin
2 kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
250g borlotti beans (before podding)
150ml double cream
150g hard cheese, grated into silvers
freshly ground peeper
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
- Pod the beans and boil in salted water for 10 minutes.
- In an oblong casserole dish layer kohlrabi, potatoes, borlotti beans and cheese. Continue layers until just under the rim.
- Mix cream, milk, salt, pepper and mace in a jug.
- Pour the mix over the layered ingredients.
- Put into the oven for one hour.
- The gratin should be browned, cover with foil and return to the oven for another hour.
- Lower the gas to mark 2, bake for a further 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.