Such a simple yet delicious cake.
250g softened salted butter
200g caster sugar
3 large eggs
300g plain flour, sieved or "00" flour
30g baking powder
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to gas mark 3.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add lemon zest.
- Beat the eggs in a mug.
- Add a little egg a bit at a time, along with a tablespoon of flour. Gently fold through.
- Gradually add the rest of the flour.
- Finally fold through the lemon juice.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and sprinkle caster sugar over the top.
- Bake for around 90 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. *check halfway through cooking and if browned but undercooked, cover with foil to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack in the tin and let the cake cool before turning out.