1 egg yolk
175ml olive and sunflower oil mix
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
couple pinches of salt
- Pop the salt in the vinegar to dissolve.
- Place a damp tea towel under a mixing bowl.
- Put the oils into a jug or pourable bottle.
- Whisk the egg yolk.
- Slowly drip by drip add the oil mixture and continually whisk.
- When half of the oil has been used slowly whisk in the vinegar/salt solution to loosen the mixture.
- Continue to slowly add the reminder of the oil whilst briskly whisking.
This is a basic mayonnaise, you can now add mustard to taste. Or garlic for an aïoli, simply seep a clove or two of minced garlic in a little olive oil before stirring through. You could even add around 4 tbsp of mixed chopped fresh herbs or use your favourite mix of spices. Additionally you can use the base for use in a tartare sauce, coleslaw etc.