60g gram flour
30g rice flour
1 tbsp ghee, melted
juice 1/2 lemon
1 chilli, finely chopped
1 garlic clove. minced
1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
1/2 tsp turmeric
handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 onions, thinly sliced
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Sieve the flours into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the ghee and lemon juice.
- Stirring, add a little coldwater until the mixture is the consistency of a thick cream.
- Stir in the chilli, spices and herbs.
- Stir in the onions until well covered.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer or wok (fill 2/3).
- Wet hands and shape tablespoon sized amounts of mixture into balls.
- Place each one onto the baking tray.
- When the oil has reached 180 degrees, drop half the bhaji's into the oil.
- Stir carefully to stop them sticking together and turn occasionally for an even cook.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and pat with kitchen paper to remove excess oil.