1 litre of beef stock
2 bay leaves
couple of sprigs of thyme
salt and pepper to season
• Pre-heat oven to gas 4.
• Peel the onions and slice in half, from root to tip.
• Place them in a deep baking tray, dotted with butter.
• Put them in the oven until softened, around 1.5 - 2 hours.
• Remove the blackened top layer of skin and slice thinly.
• Add to a large pan with the beef stock, bay leaves and thyme.
• Bring to the boil, then simmer for around an hour.
• Remove half of the soup and whizz in a blender, return to the pan and stir through.
• If you want to be naughty, add some chunks of stilton or gruyere, stir until melted.
• Taste and season. Serve with crusty bread.