1kg organic oxtail pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
400g chopped tinned tomatoes
1 litre beef stock
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp chilli
1/2 tsp allspice
4 bay leaves
- Seal the pieces of oxtail. I used a skillet pan.
- In a large casserole pot add a glug of olive oil and soften the celery, carrots and onion.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme and spices.
- Pour in the stock, add the tinned tomatoes and mustard, give a good stir.
- Add the oxtail pieces.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to lowest setting and cover with a lid.
- Leave to simmer for around 3 hours, stir occasionally.
- Remove oxtail from the casserole pot, transfer to a serving dish and ease the meat off the bones.
- Cover with foil.
- Thicken the saucewith cornflour if needed.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Organic oxtails are apparently less fatty than non-organic.