pig cheeks in cider
When I served this up I simply said it was pork as I wasn't too sure how well the idea of pig cheeks would go down...they went down a treat as they are absolutely delicious!
6 pig cheeks
2 sharp apples, cored and sliced
1 large onion, thickly sliced
500ml premium cider
500ml chicken stock
freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
- Add a glug of oil to a shallow pan and brown the pig cheeks.
- Add the onions and let them soften.
- Add the apples and the cider, bring to the boil.
- Carefully transfer all the ingredients into a casserole pot.
- Place in the oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and place the cheeks on a serving dish, cover with foil and leave in a warm oven.
- Place the casserole pot on a medium heat on the stove, add cornflour mixed with cold water to thicken. Cook it off for 10 minutes to eliminate the flour taste.
- Serve the pig cheeks on a bed of mashed potatoes, top with apples and onions, pour over cider gravy andseason with freshly ground pepper.