100g quick cook polenta
40g parmesan (optional)
- Put the water on the boil and warm through the milk.
- Add some salt to the water.
- Take the water off the heat, pour in the polenta - whisking as you go to avoid it getting lumpy.
- Pour in the milk.
- Pop the pan back onto the heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the butter.
- Keep stirring until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
I like my polenta quite soft, if you want a firmer consistency reduce the amount of water.
- Put the cooked polenta into an oiled loaf tin, leave to cool and pop into the fridge.
- When it has hardened, turn out of the loaf tin and slice.
- Add around 50g of butter to a frying pan, melt and add some of the polenta slices.
- Fry on each side for around 10 minutes each, until the polenta is browned and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and dab off any excess of butter with kitchen paper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of sea salt.
*alternatively bake in the oven for a healthier version.