The whole pulled pork craze passed me by and I'd never tried it before...I decided to try it because a gifted slow cooker has always been shoved to the back of the cupboard and I thought it was about time to drag it out. The smell of this cooking was heavenly and upon tasting the OH had one word "Divine."
1kg joint of pork
4 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp chilli flakes
freshly ground pepper
1/2pt chicken stock
- Mix all the ingredients together, except the chicken stock and marinate the pork for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Scrape the marinade off the pork and seal (brown) it on all sides in a skillet or frying pan.
- Mix the marinade and chicken stock together.
- Place pork in the slow cooker.
- Pour over stock and marinade mix.
- Cover and set on high.
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 90c. (for me this was around 3 hours)
- Take the fat off the pork and discard, then using two forks pull into shreds.
- Stir the shreds into the cooking liquid.
- Leave to cool and refrigerate for 24 hours to let the flavours meld.
- Reheat and serve on buns with coleslaw - the sharpness of coleslaw balances the sweet and spiciness of the pulled pork.