risotto alla milanese
350g risotto rice
50g parmesan cheese, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
185ml white vermouth
1.5 litre chicken stock
pinch of saffron
- Put vermouth in a glass jug and add the saffron leave to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Put stock into a saucepan and heat through, then leave it at a low simmer.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions and cook until softened but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter.
- Add the vermouth and saffron, cook stirring continually, until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in a ladle of stock and cook stirring continually, until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Repeat this process until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is al dente. (You may not need all the stock or you may need to add a little extra).
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve straightaway.