Roast Chicken with sumac and mint
2 sprigs mint
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sumac
1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground pepper
2 cos lettuce, shredded
1/2 cucumber, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
few mint leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
- Squeeze the lemon into the cavity of the chicken, pop the rest of the lemon inside the cavity with 2 sprigs of mint.
- Mix olive oil, sumac, salt and pepper in a small bowl - rub the mixture over the chicken.
- Place into a roasting dish, breast up and put into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Rotate the roasting dish 180 degrees, cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn the chicken breast down and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- To check that the chicken is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the thigh - the juices should run clear.
- Turn the oven off and leave the door ajar for 10 minutes to allow the chicken to rest (not advised if you have littles around).
- Carve the chicken, serve with juices from the pan and the crisp green salad. Plus any other accompaniments.
Turning the chicken breast down means you won't have a nice crisp skin but the breast will be deliciously moist.