sausage and lentils
8 herby sausages
1 onion, finely chopped
2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
8 juniper berries, crushed
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried chili
250g puy lentils
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and add sausages, cook until browned.
- Remove from the pan, add onions and cook until softened.
- Add tomatoes, herbs and spices.
- Give a good stir and return sausages to the pan.
- Cook on a simmer for around 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime cook your lentils.
- Puy lentils tend to have a lengthy cooking time - I cook mine in a cheap pressure cooker (£15) with 1 litre of water and a splash of oil on a high heat until the pressure is reached. I then turn down the heat to low, cook for a further 7 minutes, turn off the heat and leave until the pressure drops.
- Once cooked, drain your lentils and add to the sausage and tomato sauce.
- If desired serve with freshly chopped parsley.