1 kg mutton (or lamb)
250g pearl barley
few potatoes, quartered
stick celery, chopped
few carrots, chopped
turnip or swede, diced
two handfuls kale or 1/2 cabbage, shredded
black pepper and a few springs of thyme
2.5 litres stock
- Brown the mutton in a frying pan or on a skillet.
- Add all the other ingredients (except for the kale/cabbage) into a slow cooker.
- Place the meat on top, add seasonings and pour over stock.
- Cook on high for around 4 hours.
- Add the kale/cabbage.
- After half an hour the barley should be soft, the meat falling apart and the kale/cabbage wilted.