Crumbly and rich these are always a hit and go down very well as gifts.
150g plain flour
125g salted butter, refrigerated
50g caster sugar
- Sift flour into a large bowl and add the sugar.
- Cube the butter, add to the other ingredients and rub until you have a mixture that resembles breadcrumbs.
- Knead the mixture until it all comes together.
- Form into a log, wrap in baking paper and pop into the fridge for at least an hour, the longer the better.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 2.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife, slice up the log into pieces around 1cm thick.
- Lay well spaced onto the baking tray.
- Bake for around 50-60 minutes until the shortbread is a light golden colour.
- Use a fish slice to carefully transfer the shortbreads onto a wire rack, they will be very delicate.
- Leave to cool and harden.