Spiced red lentils
I make this for my OH who isn't keen on spicy food, double the quantities of spices if you do like a bit of spiciness.
500g red lentils
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
1.5 litres water
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp black peppercorns, ground
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tsp harissa
- Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes and water to a large pot.
- Dry fry the coriander and cumin seeds, then crush*.
- Add all the spices to the pot and give the mixture a good stir.
- Bring everything to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir regularly to avoid the lentils sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Take the pot off the heat when the lentils are cooked through, around 30 minutes.
- Stir through the spinach until wilted.
- Delicious served with fish.
* I use a one egg frying pan to fry off my spices and crush them in a pestle and mortar.