I have been cooking this casserole for years and it is a firm family favourite.
1kg venison, diced
1 onion, finely diced
8 juniper berries, crushed
1 bay leaf
50ml marsala (optional)
25ml red wine vinegar
900ml beef stock
fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat some olive oil and butter in a frying pan and brown the venison.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Fry off the pancetta and onion.
- Add to casserole dish with rosemary, juniper berries, cloves, bay leaf and all spice.
- Add marsala and red wine vinegar. Stir and simmer until the liquid become syrupy.
- Add the stock, cover and simmer on a low heat for around 3 hours. Stirring occasionally*.
- The meat is cooked when it is tender and falls apart.
- If the gravy needs thickening, mix a tablespoon of cornflour to a little cold water then add to the casserole and cook off for 10 minutes or until thickened to your preference.
- Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with lemon and parsley.
* alternatively at this stageyou could transfer everything into a slow cooker, with 450ml of stock and cook on high for 3 hours.