I have been cooking this casserole for years and it is a firm family favourite.
1kg venison haunch
1 onion, finely diced
8 juniper berries, crushed
1 bay leaf
50ml marsala (optional)
25ml red wine vinegar
900ml beef stock
lemon zest and flat leaf parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven on gas mark 4.
- Heat some olive oil and butter in a frying pan and brown the venison.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Fry off the pancetta and onion.
- Add to casserole dish with rosemary, juniper berries, cloves, bay leaf and all spice.
- Add marsala and red wine vinegar. Stir and simmer until the liquid become syrupy.
- Add the stock, cover and pop into the oven for around 3 hours.*
- The meat is cooked when it is tender and falls apart.
- If the gravy needs thickening, mix a tablespoon of cornflour to a little cold water then add to the casserole and cook off for 10 minutes or until thickened to your preference.
- Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes.
- Garnish with lemon and parsley.
* alternatively at this stage you could transfer everything into a slow cooker, with just 450ml of stock and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 10 hours.